DMU & Coaching Stock

Class 122 Diesel Multiple Unit ‘Bubble Car’ no. 55019

55019-03-09-17-Cynheidre-MarkThomas-WP
mynydd_mawr_74
IMG_9707_960015
IMG_2646
IMG_0237

Built in 1958, this unit spent the first part of her career as a Midland Region passenger unit, being based at Tyseley but she also had a brief spell on the Western Region at Cardiff Canton. 

 

Affectionately known as 'Bubble cars' these single units were ideal for branch line services. This particular unit though was to spend only 12 years in passenger service before becoming a departmental vehicle, gaining the number ADB975042 and became a route learning unit. 

 

The latter part of her career saw her become a Railtrack and then a Network Rail sandite unit, used to spray a sticky paste to rails to assist trains with rail adhesion during times of high leaf fall. It fell out of use with Network Rail in 2007 and was stored at the Chiltern Railways fleet base at Aylesbury in a stored serviceable state, during which time it passed into the ownership of Chiltern Railways. It remained here until September 2011 when it was moved to Tyseley Railway Museum pending developments. 

 

We took delivery of it at Cynheidre on 23rd July 2012. Since arriving the engines have been started and work has been concentrated on renovating the interior of the unit.

 

It is planned that the unit is to be completely renovated internally and externally and will be one of our principle passenger carrying vehicles. The unit was heavily modified internally during her time as a departmental vehicle. Where possible it will be 

returned to an original state. The external condition of the unit is excellent, with only a small amount of remedial bodywork required. It has not yet been decided what livery the unit will be painted into, but BR Green with speed whiskers is the most likely.

Class 142 'Pacer' Diesel Multiple Unit no. 142 006

IMG_20210112_093147
142006-Canton-Edit
142006-13-08-06-Coedkernew
37613678_10214573858732963_3130234833192
Untitled-157

This Class 142 Pacer railcar is the only class 142 preserved with an ‘Arriva Trains Wales’ configured interior, with the rest all scrapped in the early part of 2021. The railway would like to thank Transport for Wales (TFW) and Angel Trains for their help in the donation of this unit which will ensure that the thirty plus years of operation of these units in South Wales continues. The railway would also like to thank Chrysalis Rail at Landore for all of their help. 

 

The final class 142’s were withdrawn from service in the South Wales Valleys in December 2020. The final passenger working for the unit was the 2E13 14.16 Pontypridd to Cardiff Central service on the 23rd December 2020. During early January 2021 all units were driven to Landore in Swansea for warm storage. Following a decision to send these units for scrap, one, 142 006, has now been transferred to Cynheidre in fully operational condition. It arrived on 15th February 2021. 

Unit No. 142 006 is considered one of the the best of those stored at Landore and will now hopefully become a long term member of the operational fleet at the railway, in the short term hopefully allowing the railway to offer socially distanced train rides in a safe environment. In the longer term the railway would like to restore the unit to original South Wales ‘Valley Lines’ livery and condition. The unit made its final journey on the mainline from Cardiff Canton Depot to Landore Depot on Wednesday 6th January 2021 and is in fully operational condition. The L&MMR hope to run a Pacer gala day as soon as current Covid-19 restrictions allow. In due course the railway also plans to offer driver experience courses. 

 

In total 165 Pacer Railcars were built, the class 142 being the third generation and the largest class in terms of numbers. Introduced to service in 1985 and built by British Leyland to a lightweight design based on the then current Leyland National bus design and featuring a four wheel underframe. Upgraded in the early 1990’s with more powerful engines, they have, along with the newer class 143 Pacers and class 150 DMU’s, been the mainstay of services in the South Wales Valleys for over thirty years. The preservation of this unit at Cynheidre ensures that their legacy is celebrated and continues into the future.

Class 143 'Pacer' Diesel Multiple Unit no. 143606

143606-23-05-06-Llangennech-MarkThomas-W
IMG_0006
143606-21-02-04-CardiffCentral-MarkThoma
IMG_0018
IMG_0462
143606

143606 joined the active LMMR fleet by moving to Cynheidre on 1st June 2021 after coming off-lease from Transport for Wales at 23.59 on 31st May 2021. The unit's last day in service was on Wednesday 26th May 2021 and headed to Landore Depot for brief storage the following day. The railway would like to thank Transport for Wales (TFW) and Porterbrook Leasing for their help in the donation of this unit and Chrysalis Rail at Landore for their assistance with arrangements to have the unit delivered swiftly.

 

The final class 143’s were withdrawn from service in the South Wales Valleys in May 2021, with the class bowing out as the final example of 'Pacers' to run in revenue earning service. The LMMR agreed a deal to acquire the unit as far back as October 2020, however continued introduction issues of the 143 replacement, the Class 769 meant that the units had further dispensation to continue in service until the end of May 2021, albeit with their toilets locked out of use and the need to be coupled to a PRM (Persons with Reduced Mobility) compliant unit.

 

In total 25 class 143 Pacer Railcars were built. Introduced to service in 1985 and built by British Leyland to a lightweight design based on the then current Leyland National bus design and featuring a four wheel underframe. Upgraded in the early 1990’s with more powerful engines, they have, along with the class 142 Pacers and class 150 DMU’s, been the mainstay of services in the South Wales Valleys for over thirty years. The preservation of this unit at Cynheidre ensures that their legacy is celebrated and continues into the future. The unit will come under the care of the South Wales Railcar Group as one of the railway's operational units with an introduction into service in summer 2021.

Class 143 'Pacer' Diesel Multiple Unit no. 143607

image
IMG_0019
143607-17-04-15-CardiffCentral
DSC03410a
143607-27-08-05-Llanishen
192220056_601945074117217_91711566998453

143607 became the third and final Pacer unit to join the LMMR fleet and is due to arrive at the railway during June 2021 after coming off-lease from Transport for Wales at 23.59 on the 31st May 2021. As with the acquisition of 143606, the railway would like to thank Transport for Wales (TFW) and Porterbrook Leasing for their help in the donation of this unit and Chrysalis Rail Landore for their help with arranging the movement to Cynheidre. The unit's last working was from Rhymney to Cardiff Central on 27th May 2021, with the unit heading to Landore Depot the following day.

 

The past of this unit is similar to 143606, but the future will be much different. The first few months of 143607s life at the railway will see it getting use in service, however the long term plan for the unit is to convert it into a static ticket office, shop and cafe to be located within the compound area of the railway.

 

Once withdrawn from service in the summer of 2021, the unit will not run in active service again. As well as being an invaluable pair of vehicles for our commercial activities, it will also supply a raft of spare parts to keep both 142006 and 143606 run in service for many years to come.

Class 483 EMU / Former London Underground '38 Stock' no. 483006  - Owned by the London Transport Traction Group

23B42416-C758-4F84-8D62-91786C2A5629
483006-2
483006-5
483006-7
483006
483006-3
483006-4
483006-6

The Class 483 was originally built as '1938 Stock' for the London Underground and were part of 1,121 cars built by the Metropolitan Cammell works and the Birmingham Railway Carriage and Wagon Works between 1935 and 1940. They saw use on the Northern, Central and Bakerloo underground lines until their withdrawal in 1988, with their final use being on the Northern Line. 

 

Whilst most vehicles were scrapped, a new dawn appeared for some vehicles. After being purchased by Network Southeast in 1988 after withdrawal, 10 sets were given an extensive overhaul and rebuild for a new life on the Isle of Wight, to replace the 1920s-30s Class 485 and 486s (ex-Standard Tube Stock). Carrying the distinctive NSE livery, the units would be re-classified as Class 483s and were introduced between 1989 and 1992.

 

Whilst some classmates were gradually withdrawn over the coming years, 483006 (built 1940) would survive in service until the 3rd January 2021, with the unit having the distinction of being the last Class 483 operated service on the Isle of Wight. It is also the last pre-war train class to operate on the national rail network. 

 

After a 9 1/2 month period of storage at Ryde St. John’s depot, 006 would make its final journey over the branch line it called home for 21 years as it was towed the short distance from the depot to Sandown on Thursday 21st October 2021, where it would be loaded for road transport and travel a mere 215 miles by road to the Llanelli & Mynydd Mawr Railway the following day to undertake the next chapter of its incredible career. It remains in the same condition as it did when it was withdrawn from service, which is actually remarkable condition for a unit now 81 years old.

 

Under the ownership of the London Transport Traction Group, it is planned for 483006 and sister unit 483008 to eventually move under their own power once again, albeit via battery power rather than 750v third rail. In the meantime, both the LMMR and the LTTG will work together to find the most practical and safest option to introduce 483006 as loco-hauled rolling stock at the railway, hauled by one of their resident diesel locomotives.

Mark 2f Buffet Carriage no. 1206

mynydd_mawr_2
IMG_3950
1206
IMG_3957
mynydd_mawr_32

Built by British Rail at their Derby works in 1975, this vehicle was built as a first class open vehicle and then converted to a standard class vehicle in 1985. In 1988, it was to undergo a large refurbishment and was converted into a Restaurant First Buffet (RFB) car. 

 

It came out of service in 2002 after the introduction of Voyager units on Virgin services before being briefly stored at LNWR at Crewe. It enjoyed a career on Cross Country services from Brighton and other south of England 

locations to Manchester and as far north as Scotland in the formation of Class 47 and Class 86 loco-hauled services. 

 

It coach was purchased from HSBC rail at MOD Kineton in 2006. This is our on-site cafè at present. The coach incorporates disabled access together with wheelchair adaptation and is fitted with reclining first class seating. 

 

The cost was covered by an extremely kind donation from the road building company Costain. Many thanks go to Costain for their assistance in the acquisition of this coach. 

 

It is in excellent condition and is currently painted in undercoat in preparation for a full repaint in the future. This has been a static vehicle for our first two open days in 2017, but the coach can be found in service as a passenger carrying vehicle on selected open days.